LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

PORTLAND, Maine (Portland Press Herald) - A judge said he will issue a written decision next week regarding a federal lawsuit that would greatly affect independent candidates in Maine.

NEWS CENTER's media partners at the Portland Press Herald report that the federal lawsuit challenges a law that limits campaign contributions to independent candidates to $1,500 per donor. Democratic and Republican candidates can raise twice as much from each individual.

Supporters of gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler filed the lawsuit last month. Attorneys for the four plaintiffs – Amy Woodhouse, Richard Tobey Scott, William Hastings and J. Thomas Franklin – and staff members from the Maine Attorney General's Office made their respective cases Tuesday.

An attorney representing the Maine ethics commission, which is defending the law, said that it's not the federal courts' job to "fine-tune (contribution) limits."

To read more visit the Portland Press Herald's website.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wcsh6.com/1ov7F7P