LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

YORK, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The York Board of Selectmen held an emergency meeting Monday morning to discuss their options to pay for mounting storm clean-up costs in the wake of a microburst which hit the town last week.

While selectmen could not agree on allocating money from the town's contingency fund to pay for overtime expenses and to reimburse contractors who helped remove trees from blocked roads, town manager Robert Yandow says the town will take action soon to pay for the emergency response and clean-up.

"We've been through this before. We know what it takes," stated Yandow. "Contractors will get paid. Everybody will get paid. At this point, it is just a matter of where those funds come from."

Dean Lessard, director of York Public Works, says most of the town's right of ways have been cleared of trees and debris. He says the town will now encourage property owners in the affected area to place their unwanted material on the side of the road and the town will hire a contractor to haul it away. He hopes to begin that process early next week.

"Private property owners will be able to take debris and bring it to the edge of the road, and public works will have hired crews come to pick it up for them," he explained. He says the town will post more information on their Facebook page, the public access channel and on the town's website to assist people in their recovery efforts.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wcsh6.com/1mxx7TK