LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

BANGOR, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Bangor Police, Fire Department and Bangor Gas responded to a gas leak Friday morning on Fern Street.

Bangor Gas said there was a sewage project going on in the front yard where the gas leak started. Fire officials said the excavator hit a gas line. The site was approved by Dig Safe.

Officials closed Fern Street from State to Garland and evacuated neighboring homes. Bangor Fire sprayed the house to prevent a fire from starting.

"I was nervous right away. I had three kids who were sleeping, so I woke them up immediately and we got out within a minute," Sarah Harvey, a neighbor, said. "And it wasn't till after the fact I was a little worried about our pets. And I asked the firefighter and they said it'd probably be resolved within a few minutes."

Residents were allowed back in their homes around 10 a.m.

Bangor Natural Gas said the gas line has been repaired, and people who live on Fern Street should call 941-9595 to have their gas turned back on.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wcsh6.com/V8RsZ3