SACO, Maine (NEWS CENTER) --A standoff that last more than four hours Saturday came to an end when police said the suspect set fire to his home and died inside.

Authorities identified the man as 58-year-old Charles Scontras. The State Fire Marshal's Office said it found his body in the rubble of his home late Saturday night.

The standoff began just before 2 p.m. Saturday at Scontras's home on Hillview Avenue when Scontras's wife called police to escort her to retrieve some of her belongings at the home.

When police arrived on scene with Scontras's wife, they noticed smoke coming from the building and they called the fire department.

Police said at least one shot was then fired by Scontras inside the home. The state police tactical team was called in to assist, and police set up a perimeter around the home.

No one else besides Scontras was inside during the standoff. It lasted more than four hours Saturday as police were attempting to make contact and negotiate with him.

Shortly after 6:30 p.m., police said Scontras set fire to his home, and it quickly became engulfed in flames.

Firefighters battled the flames for nearly an hour and a half. By 8 p.m. Saturday, the fire had been controlled. Police said the home was destroyed in the fire.

Police said Scontras and his wife recently separated, and Scontras's wife had taken out a protection order against her husband. Police were called to the home several times earlier in the week.

Bob Guillory lives next door to where the standoff happened. He was forced to evacuate, and decided to rent a hotel room for the night.

"We went to the Ramada Inn to get a room for the night, and we open up the curtains and we see the black smoke coming in," Guillory said from the scene Saturday night. "My wife started crying, and she thought our house was burning down."

Firefighters were able to contain the fire, and it did not spread to any other homes.

Guillory said he had seen police visit the house several times over the last week.

"Yesterday they tried to serve him with papers and he wouldn't let them in the house," Guillory said. "So, I kind of knew that this wasn't going to end well today."

During the standoff Saturday, police blocked off Hillview Avenue, and several nearby homes were evacuated.

Scontras's body has been taken to the State Medical Examiner's office in Augusta for an autopsy to determine his cause of death.

Read or Share this story: