SHARECOMMENTMORE

ROCKLAND, Maine (AP) - Fire officials in Maine say rotting fish created a noxious gas that sent two fishermen to the hospital.

Rockland Assistant Fire Chief Adam Miceli (meh-SELL'-ee) says one of the fishermen was rendered unconscious and had to be transported via LifeFlight helicopter to Maine Medical Center. The other was being treated at Pen Bay Hospital.

Miceli says hydrogen sulfide, a poisonous gas, built up in a holding tank after the 89-foot Starlight offloaded herring.

He says the first fisherman was overcome and lost consciousness Friday and the second fisherman was sickened while trying to assist the first one. He says third fisherman saw what was happening and used a breathing apparatus to help rescue the other two.

No identities have been released.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)