SHARECOMMENTMORE

PORTLAND, Maine

(AP) - Maine fire marshal investigators believe a candle started a fire that claimed the life of a homeless man at an encampment in Portland.



Officials on Monday identified the victim as 53-year-old Brian Barbour of Portland and declared his death to be accidental. An autopsy determined that he died from smoke inhalation.



Firefighters responded to a fire just before midnight on Saturday on West Commercial Street. As crews extinguished the fire, the badly burned body of a man was found nearby. The fire also destroyed a tent, some personal belongings and scorched a small area of woods.



Fire Chief Jerome LaMoria says the death highlights the vulnerability of the homeless population who use open flame for heating, lighting and cooking.

SHARECOMMENTMORE