LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

WESTBROOK, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - Directors and staff at the Animal refuge League in Westbrook say they've been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from the community after a fire destroyed toys and linens for the animals.

Long before the doors opened and throughout the day, there was steady stream of people stopping by the shelter to drop off donations, including one of the firefighters who helped douse Wednesday's smoky blaze.

The 200-dollar check from the firefighters was just one of the numerous donations given by local businesses and residents throughout the day.

"We have been overwhelmed by the outpour of support and offers of help from the community. It has been nothing short of amazing", said Patsy Murphy, Executive Director.

Murphy says the fire started in one of the dryers after the rubber inside a pet toy melted and released gas. None of the staff or animals were injured.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wcsh6.com/1fzFuKX