PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Due to recent events with carbon monoxide poisoning, NEWS CENTER decided to put together a list of how to detect and avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some facts and tips we found from the U.S. Fire Administration.
- CO is a gas that you cannot smell, taste, or see.
- Poisoning can be a result of dryers, cars left running in garages, portlabe generators, faulty furnaces, or water heaters.
- Homeowners should install and maintain CO alarms, which provide early warning of carbon monoxide.
- Fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys should be inspected by a professional every year.
- Vents from furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, and dryers should always be clear of snow and other debris.
- Symptoms of CO poisoning include drowsiness, headaches, and nausea.
For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning, visit http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/co/fswy17.shtm.