FREEPORT, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A home was heavily damaged in a fire in Freeport Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to 5 Ware Road just before 1:30. When they arrived they found heavy fire in the living room. They had the fire under control within twenty minutes. Chief Darrel Fournier says the fire was caused by food left on the stove. He says this fire comes at a difficult time for the occupants.
"Unfortunately the homeowner cancelled his insurance a couple of months ago," Fournier said. "His wife passed away, I'm really sad that he's going through this. He lives here with his son. We have contacted the Red Cross and they will come out and assist them, give them a place to live.
Chief Fournier estimates the fire caused about 100 thousand dollars in damage.