CHEF TIM O'BRIEN MAKES PANZANELLA SALAD
Chef Tim O'Brien from Trattoria Athena in Brunswick is one of many chefs taking part in Spectrum Generations' Meals on Wheels Celebrity Challenge on September 25th. The Chefs will compete by preparing a main dish using Meals on Wheels guidelines and ingredients. Local celebrities will be volunteering to deliver meals to your table while celebrity judges sample and score each dish to declare a champion- there will also be a people's choice awarded by you! The Top Chef and People's Choice winner will receive special recognition and all chef recipes will be incorporated in Spectrum Generations' Meals on Wheels menu. The event takes place at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, ME.
For more information on Spectrum Generations and the Meals on Wheels Challenge and programs click here: SPECTRUM GENERATIONS
For more information on Chef Tim O'Brien click here: TRATTORIA ATHENA
A printable version of Chef O'Brien's recipe can be found in the 207 Kitchen section of our website.
(makes 1 serving)
2 T. white balsamic vinegar
3 pieces of day-old bread with crust removed (Tuscan or other dense, dry bread)
1 large tomato
1/4 red onion
2 T. chick peas
a handful of arugula
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine vinegar and water in flat, rimmed dish.
2. Lay pieces of bread in liquid mixture.
3. While bread is soaking, chop tomatoes and cucumber into bite-size chunks, and slice onion thinly.
4. Combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion, basil and arugula in a bowl.
5. Squeeze excess moisture out of the bread, and crumble in to the bowl of vegetables.
6. Season with salt & pepper, mix all ingredients together, and plate.
7. Garnish with chick peas & crumbled ricotta (or shaved parmigiano reggiano). Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.