KENNER, La. -- A 5-year-old led her grandmother to safety after she learned an important fire safety lesson at school.
Cloe Woods is in Pre-K at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Kenner learning the very basics. Back in October her class went to the Kenner Fire Department to learn something else.
"They talked to the kids saying if there was a fire you need to get out of the house," said her teacher Brittany Gaillot.
Cloe was listening and learning, and it came in handy. In her home early Wednesday morning, the stove caught fire, setting off the smoke alarm. That's when little Cloe sprang into action.
Cloe's mom says the 5-year-old jumped out of bed and ran to her blind grandmother's room.
"She told my mom to hold her shoulder and that they had to get out of the house," said Shone Arceneaux, Cloe's mother.
Once she was out of the house Cloe made sure her grandmother and dog were ok before running door to door looking for one thing.
"I wanted water, to pour it," Chloe said.
When Arceneaux returned from bringing her older children to their carpool stop nearby, Cloe brought her the news.
"She was running and telling the neighbors to call 911, and I said what's going on, she said the house is on fire, so I jump out of the car and said what?," said Arceneaux.
Kenner Fire Department Chief John Hellmers says thanks to this little girl paying attention on a field trip, tragedy was avoided.
"She saved her grandmothers' life and saved her own life," said Hellmers.
Maybe Cloe learned something else she still might not fully understand, heroism.
A GoFundMe account has been setup to help Cloe's family, who is displaced since the fire. You can make donations here.
Copyright 2016 WCSH