WASHINGTON, D.C (NBC NEWS) -- Vice presidential candidates Tim Kaine and Mike Pence were defensive out of the gate Tuesday night and didn't let up for 90 minutes, interrupting each other and throwing attacks against Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump — and at times each other.
Here are some of the snippiest remarks at the lone vice presidential debate at Longwood University in Farmville, Virginia:
1. Pence: "You whipped out that Mexican thing again."
2. Kaine: "Why don't you trust women to make this choice? Why doesn't Donald Trump trust women to make this choice for themselves?"
3. Kaine: "Putin is a dictator, not leader, anybody who thinks otherwise doesn't know Russian history."
4. Pence: "We can put cyber security first ... if we make sure the next secretary of state doesn't have a private server..."
5. Kaine: "Trump can't start a Twitter war with Miss Universe without shooting himself in the foot."
6. Kaine: "Trump has a personal Mt. Rushmore," including Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong Un and Saddam Hussein.
7. Pence: "I'll work with you when you go back to the Senate."
Related: Everything You Missed From the VP Debate
8. Kaine: "You can't have somebody at the top who demeans everybody he talks about."
9. Kaine: Pence was "chief cheerleader of the privatization" of the entitlement while he was a member of Congress.
10. Pence: Kaine and Clinton are running a campaign on an "avalanche of insults."
11. Kaine: "So it's smart not to pay for our military, it's smart not to pay for veterans, it's smart not to pay for teachers, I guess all of us who do pay for those things, I guess we're stupid."
12. Kaine: "Do you want a 'you're hired' president in Hillary Clinton or a 'you're fired' president in Donald Trump?"
13. Pence: "Appreciated you're hired, you're fired thing, you use that a whole lot..."
14. Kaine: "You will look in vain" for an apology from Trump.
15. Kaine: "He's asking people to vote for somebody he cannot defend."