Two Mainers burned after woman tries lighting cigarette while on oxygen

WATERVILLE, Maine (NEWS CENTER) — Officials say a woman's oxygen face mask caught fire while she was trying to light a cigarette on Thanksgiving. 

Waterville Fire and Rescue say they went to 35 Spruce Street in Waterville around 2:00 p.m. on Thursday because a fire was caused when a woman using an oxygen tank tried to smoke a cigarette. 

A man who was also at the home burned his hand while trying to extinguish the fire. Officials say the man refused to be taken to the hospital. The woman was taken to Maine General Medical Center. 

Officials are using the incident to remind Mainers not to smoke while using an oxygen tank because of the increased fire risk.

They say items such as clothes, hair and furniture become saturated with oxygen, when using a tank at home and may ignite more easily. The use of smoking materials and open flames should be avoided while the oxygen is being used.
 

© 2017 WCSH-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment