HIRAM, Maine - Sacopee Valley High School has been forced to forfeit Friday's game against Winthrop/Monmouth due to "safety of players concern" according to Chris Hughes, Sacopee Athletic Director. "We simply felt we had reached a numbers (of healthy players) point to where it was not in the best interest, safety wise, for us to play this week." The Hawks finished last week's game against Dirigo with only 12 healthy players.
Per Maine Principals' Association rule "Any member school which submits a game schedule in Heal point or Crabtree sports for a speci?c sport and does not complete that season's schedule, will be prohibited from participating in varsity competition leading to postseason play in that sport for the next two years. This action may be appealed to the Interscholastic Management Committee for a waiver in extenuating circumstances."
Hughes said Sacopee Valley administration is currently in the process of drafting an appeal with hopes "we would be allowed to complete this season." Hughes also stated that once this season is complete, the administration will discuss the future of the football program. Hughes also said "safety of our players comes first in any decisions we make."
According to Todd Livingston, South Portland Athletic Director and Chairman of the MPA Football Committee, he has had conversations with MPA Assistant Director Mike Burnham to discuss Sacopee Valley. Livingston said that "no decisions had been made as of yet" whether to allow Sacopee to continue season or subsequent seasons.
Burnham said "Football is a unique sports because of the schedule. If this were basketball or hockey and health numbers were an issue, we would simply rescedule. The football schedule makes that much more difficult."
Burnham added a decision will likely come early next week.