BANGOR, Maine (NEWS CENTER)-- Thanks to a donation, Bangor schools will now be well equipped to detect deadly carbon monoxide gas.
St. Joseph's Healthcare will present a check for $2,500 to the City of Bangor to have carbon monoxide detectors placed in the city's schools. The check will be presented to city officials at 7:30 at tonight's Bangor City Council meeting. Members of the school department will work with the Bangor Fire Department to make sure that all school buildings are properly outfitted with the new devices.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be fatal in high concentrations. Nationally, it causes about 500 death a year.