Mini Lobster Cakes with Lime-Pepper Aioli
Tiny lobster cakes are served with a garlicky lime-pepper-spiked aioli dipping sauce to make a quite spectacular hors d'oeuvre. The cakes can be made ahead and frozen.
Makes about 30 tiny cakes, 6 - 8 servings
1/4 cup mayonnaise
½ teaspoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mini Lobster Cakes:
1 small egg (see Note)
3/4 cup finely crushed saltines
3 tablespoons minced scallions
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lime juice
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning or other similar seafood seasoning mix
½ pound coarsely chopped cooked lobster meat (1 ½ cups) (see Note)
2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Thin lime slices for garnish
1. For the sauce, whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, lime juice and zest, and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
2. For the lobster cakes, lightly beat the egg in a medium bowl. Add the saltine crumbs, scallions, mayonnaise, lime juice, Worcestershire, and Old Bay Seasoning, and blend well. Pulse the lobster meat in a food processor until finely chopped, add to the bowl, and mix thoroughly to combine.
3. Form the mixture into about 30 tiny patties, using a scant tablespoon for each cake, and place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (The cakes can be made up to 24 hours ahead.)
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet. Cook cakes over medium heat until golden brown and crisp on both sides and hot inside, 4 to 5 minutes total. Repeat with remaining oil and cakes. (If not serving immediately, place on a foil-lined baking sheet, wrap well, and refrigerate for up to 24 hour, or freeze. Remove from the refrigerator or freezer 30 minutes before baking and reheat in a preheated 375-degree oven until hot and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.)
5. Arrange on a serving platter accompanied by a small bowl of the sauce for dipping. Garnish platter with lime slices.
Note: If you don't have a small egg, whisk a large egg and scoop out half for this recipe. Cook one 1 ½-pound hard-shell lobster or two one-pound soft-shell lobsters and remove the meat or buy picked-out meat.