Sanford baby suffers severe burns in fire pit accident

SANFORD, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A newborn was critically burned Wednesday night in what the State Fire Marshal's Office is calling a "freak incident."

The 14-day-old baby, the father, 43-year-old Dirk Jelsing, and 2-year-old sibling were laying on a couch next to an outdoor fire pit. Around 10:30 p.m., sparks ignited Jelsing's coat and the infant suffered serious burns, said investigators.

The infant, Cullum Jelsing, received second and third degree burns from the fire. Medical officials initially took him to Goodall Hospital in Sanford, but he was later taken to Shriner's Hospital in Boston. The father and the 2-year-old both had minor burns.

Investigators said Jelsing had been drinking, but they have not determined if that was a factor in the incident. Fire Marshals said they will consult with the York County District Attorney's Office to review possible charges after completing the investigation. The Maine Department of Health and Human Services has placed the 2-year-old with other relatives.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment