Report: Cheverus student died from flesh-eating bacteria

PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The Portland Press Herald has received a copy of the medical examiner's report on Benjamin LaMontagne, the 18-year-old Cheverus High School student who died in February. According to the report, LaMontagne died of aggressive, flesh-eating bacteria that caused swelling of his jaw and neck. Necrotizing fasciitis, commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria, is caused by a powerful strain of streptococcus A, a group of pathogens most commonly associated with strep throat.

Benjamin LaMontagne had four wisdom teeth extracted on February 19th. According to the Portland Press Herald, after the procedure, swelling of his left jaw intensified and spread to his eye. LaMontagne died on February 22nd.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment