PORTLAND, ME (NEWS CENTER) -- Preparations are well underway for Portland's Stars & Stripes Spectacular, an event that draws 50,000 people to the city's Eastern Prom. Vendors will be open on the Promenade beginning at noon this Friday. The Patriotic Pops Concert is scheduled to begin at 7:40, and will continue right through the fireworks display which will start around 9:20. Guest artist Suzanne Nance will join the Portland Symphony Orchestra for the concert. If the weather does not cooperate a rain date is scheduled for Saturday, July 5th.
In addition, the 4th Annual "No Kids Hungry – Scoops for Kids Ice Cream Festival" will take place at the Eastern Promenade and Cutter Street from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM. The event sponsored by Mercy Hospital benefits Share our Strength's No Kid Hungry Campaign to end childhood hunger here in Maine and ensure all children the healthy food they need, every day. The cost will be $5 per ticket for an all-you-can-eat tasting
Street Closures and Parking Restrictions
The East End Boat launch as well as Cutter Street and all the parking lots on Cutter Street will be closed from 10:00 PM July 3rd to 6:30 AM July 5th or 6:30 a.m., July 6th if a rain date is necessary. Boaters can access alternate launches nearby including the Falmouth Town Landing on Route 88, Bug Light Boat Launch in South Portland and Portland Yacht Services.
On-street parking will be restricted for the following streets from 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM, July 4th (extended to 11:00 PM on July 5th in case of rain date):
· Eastern Promenade (both sides) from Morning Street to Washington Avenue
· Fort Allen Park (both sides)
· Walnut Street from the Eastern Promenade to Washington Avenue
· Mountfort Street from Congress Street to Fore Street (both sides).
At 10:00 AM on July 4th, the following streets will be closed to the public until 11:00 PM (rain date would extend closures to 11:00 PM July 5) in order to maintain an emergency access route:
· Eastern Promenade from Morning Street to Walnut Street
· Wilson Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
· Moody Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
· Congress Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
At 11:00 AM on July 4th, the following streets will be closed to the public until 11:00 PM (rain date would extend closures to 11:00 PM July 5) in order to maintain an emergency access route:
· Turner Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
· Quebec Street from Emerson Street to the Eastern Promenade
· Melbourne Street from Emerson Street to the Eastern Promenade
· Montreal Street from Willis Street to the Eastern Promenade
· Walnut Street from Willis Street to the Eastern Promenade
Munjoy Hill will be closed to all traffic at 4:00 PM on July 4th. Handicapped parking is available on a first come first served basis along Cutter Street and Fort Allen Park. Clearly marked handicapped vehicles will be allowed to pass the barricades until 6:00 PM. Drivers must approach Cutter Street from Fore Street to enter.