OLD TOWN, Maine (NEWS CENTER) — Last week's deadly fire in Old Town prompted firefighters to take action in more ways than one, going door to door Sunday to make sure people in town had properly functioning smoke detectors.
"This is the first opportunity that we've had to do it and so far it's pretty eye-opening,” Capt. Matt Redding said.
Investigators found that the detectors malfunctioned in Monday's fire that killed a woman and two young children.
Less than one week later, Cpt. Redding and his fellow firefighters checked and installed smoke detectors for dozens of residents in the area of Bradbury Street.
Some said the tragedy reminded them to check.
“Residents that just want to know about smoke alarms and some that really needed them,” Redding said.
It's something the department hopes sends a much greater message of the importance of a simple and inexpensive lifesaving device.
“We can't control when a fire starts, how it starts," Redding said. "We can control what we do when we get there, but sometimes it's out of our hands by the time that we get there."
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fire without functioning smoke alarms are more twice as likely to be fatal.
For more information on you can visit the NFPA’s website.
Copyright 2016 WLBZ