Fire destroys firefighter's home in Levant

LEVANT, Maine (NEWS CENTER) – Nearly a dozen area departments were called in to battle a massive fire in Levant Monday night.

Fortunately the family who was home at the time did make it out safely.

The home however is a complete loss.

It all happened just around 6:30 p.m. on Quinn Road in Levant.

Fire officials believe a barbecue outside the home sparked the blaze.

It then spread rapidly though the two-story structure and was heavily involved when crews arrived on scene.

Fire crews ensured all hot spots are extinguished, bringing in an excavator to tear down what remains of the charred house.

Perhaps the hardest part for local firefighters was that this was the home of one of their own.

"It's not a good feeling in your stomach when you know it's one of your own that you're going to protect. Life safety is the number one most important thing and then knowing that they're out of the house made it a little easier, but it's certainly it's a tough, tough call to go to,” Levant Fire Chief Eric Strout said.

The Red Cross did reach out to the family just hours after the fire started.

They made plans to stay with other family members.

Firefighters on scene said they are glad no one was hurt, and are proud that some 70 to 80 crew members, mostly volunteer, were able to help put out the fire especially on this holiday evening.

Copyright 2016 WLBZ


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment