Family safe after cooking utensils ignite home fire in Dayton

DAYTON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Fire officials say a family is safe after wooden handled cooking utensils ignited a home fire in Dayton Thursday.

Fire crews say they found heavy smoke coming from the kitchen of the home on Rumery Road when they arrived at approximately 4:21 a.m. 

The fire was contained to the oven of the kitchen stove and quickly extinguished. 

Officials say the family was alerted to teh fire by smoke detectors.  It appears that the utensils ignited while the main oven was in use. The wooden utensils were stored in the bottom drawer compartment of the stove.

The family was able to return to the home. There we no injuries to the residents or pets. Firefighters from 7 communities responded.

Copyright 2016 WCSH


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories