Bangor City Hall evacuated as gas leak is fixed

Bangor gas leak

BANGOR, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Bangor City Hall was evacuated Wednesday morning due to a gas leak.

A piece of construction equipment backed into the natural gas meter behind the building.

The workers smelled gas, and city hall was evacuated.

City hall was closed for 30 minutes as the Bangor Fire Department and Bangor Gas Company shut off the valve and restored the safe flow of gas.

 

 

"Anytime there's a gas leak it has the potential for a serious issue," said Anthony Riitano from the Bangor Fire Department. "There was some gas leakage into the building. The building was evacuated. We are checking all the floors to make sure there's no natural gas in the building."

One the work Riitano described was completed, city hall reopened later in the morning.

© 2017 WCSH-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment