Apartment fire blamed on smoking materials

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Cigarettes in a plastic bottle started the fire that damaged a South Portland apartment building on Wednesday.

Fire Chief Jim Wilson told NEWS CENTER someone smoking on a second floor deck apparently disposed of the butts in a plastic bottle to put them out, but the bottle itself eventually caught fire and ignited the deck. Flames then spread up the side of the building to a third floor apartment and into the attic.

Wilson said two third floor apartments had fire and smoke damage, and there was also “significant damage” to the attic area. The roof of the building was also damaged because firefighters had to cut through it to get at the flames. Four apartments on the lower floors had water damage, according to Chief Wilson.

Wilson said a fire wall in the building, which extended into the attic, stopped flames from spreading any farther.

© 2017 WCSH-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment