Man recovering after trying to rescue cats from fire

10:32 AM, Mar 18, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

RANDOLPH, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Maine Medical Center is treating a man for serious smoke inhalation after a fire in his log cabin home Monday evening, said State Fire Marhsal's Office Tuesday. 

Richard Messer, 60, and his wife were home when the fire started from metal stove pipe attached to the fireplace in the house. The fire destroyed the two-story home on Mill Road. Messer and his wife got out safely, but Messer then went back into the house  three times attempting to rescue the family's cats. He was able to rescue three of them, though not all. First responders stopped Messer from entering the house a fourth time when they arrived on scene.

Ambulance originally took Messer to MaineGeneral in Augusta, but was later transferred to the Portland hospital.

Most Watched Videos