LIVE VIDEO: WCSH NEWS CENTER 6 at Noon    Watch
 

Owner hurt in fire at Waterville business

7:34 AM, Dec 26, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WATERVILLE, Maine (AP) - Authorities say a Christmas Day fire that destroyed a flooring business and injured the owner was caused by careless disposal of wood ash.

The Waterville Fire Department says in a statement that Wednesday's blaze at Grenier's Classic Flooring was caused when ash from a wood stove that was put in a plastic bucket, which was placed in a shed attached to the building.

Owner Robert Grenier suffered second-degree burns on his right hand and was treated at the scene.

The building and everything in it, including carpeting, tiling, a van, a trailer, a recreational vehicle and a forklift, were lost.

The attached home was also heavily damaged.

The Morning Sentinel reports that the state Department of Environmental Protection is testing debris at the site for environmental hazards.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most Watched Videos