TURNER, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A farm in Turner is cleaning up today after a fire destroyed their milking barn Saturday afternoon. The barn is now a pile of rubble, but Ralph Caldwell of Caldwell Family Farm says it could have been much worse without the help of the community.
There were about 80 cows inside the barn when the fire broke out, thanks to passers-by, neighbors, and friends who heard the sirens and came with trailers, they were able to move the cows plus, transfer calves in a nearby barn to other pastures and farms, away from the fire.
Thanks to that help, Caldwell estimates they were able to save about a hundred cattle.
Caldwell says a neighboring organic farm has volunteered their space to milk the cows in the meantime; even the local general store donated pizza to the fire fighters who fought Sunday's blaze.
Turner's Assistant Fire Chief, Russ Gagne says the fire appears to have been sparked in the electrical work of the vacuuming system used to milk the cows.