Fire destroys a barn at Caldwell Farms in Turner on Sunday afternoon. Photo courtesy: Brittany Hawley
TURNER, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A 150-foot barn was destroyed in a fire Sunday afternoon at Caldwell Family Farm in Turner.
PHOTOS: Fire at Caldwell Family Farm
Turner's Assistant Fire Chief, Russ Gagne, says the barn was a milking barn at the dairy farm. He says it's considered a total loss.
No one was injured in the blaze, and all of the cows were safely removed from the barn.
Gagne says it appears the fire started with an electrical shortage in the vacuum system used to pump milk from the cows.
He says about 6 departments were on scene helping to extinguish the flames, which took about an hour and a half to knock down.
Caldwell Family Farms has posted this statement to their Facebook page in response to Sunday's fire: "To all of our faithful fans, friends and family. We lost our main milking barn today. No cows were lost or hurt, no people were hurt. Our entire parlor, milk house, main barn, office and all of our treatment supplies are gone. We are sending the girls to a neighbor organic farm to be milked tonight and we will start milking at home again as soon as the mobile parlor is set up on the hill. Thank you for all of your support, thoughts and prayers!!!"