YARMOUTH, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- One Yarmouth family is using the loss of its house to help their community.
Ken and Anita Anderson lost their home a little over 2 months ago in the explosion in on Gables Drive that killed one man and seriously damaged at least a half dozen other homes in the area.
The Anderson family's home is on nearby Balsam Drive. Wednesday, as they prepared to build a new home, they gave the Yarmouth Fire Department a valuable gift. That gift was allowing their home to be used to train firefighters and K-9s.
The house won't be burned to the ground until Sunday, but all day Wednesday, firefighters from Yarmouth, North Yarmouth, Freeport and Falmouth practiced their skills in controlled burns inside the home. Yarmouth Fire Chief Mike Robitaille says an exercise like this is rare because it's about as close to real life as it gets.
Ken Anderson said it's hard to see the dream house he and his wife have been working on for 13 years burn, but it's also closure, and it's nice to be able to give the loss of their house a silver lining.
Anderson said, "This is good training for the fire department. They're going to get some training from this horrendous event."
The Andersons just got their check from the insurance company last week. They plan to rebuild on this same spot next week. They saved the deck, the bannister from the stairs and some of the mouldings around the windows and doors in the hope that they will be able to use them in the new place.