AUGUSTA, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - The North Pond Hermit says he is not particularly interested in leaving jail.
Christopher Knight was back in court Tuesday afternoon. Knight made a video appearance from the Kennebec County Jail where he's being held. He was formally charged with two additional counts of burglary.
Bail for Knight, which had been increased from $5,000 to $250,000 earlier, was reduced to $25,000.
The increase, according to District Attorney Meaghan Maloney, was an effort to protect Knight from third parties. A stranger had offered to pay his bail when it was first set. Knight had also apparently received a wedding proposal.
Tuesday's reduction to $25,000 comes with the stipulation that it can only be paid by Knight himself.
Walter McKee, Knight's lawyer, says he does not anticipate his client's posting bail. And District Attorney Maloney says McKee told her Knight doesn't want to be bailed out.
Maloney says that if he changes his mind, she is open to discussing changing the bail.
The State is investigating 20 break-ins that have been reported over the years. They are only going to be looking into cases that have already been reported.
Tuesday's additional burglary charges stem from reports of theft from a specific camp in Rome. The crimes were allegedly committed in September and October of 2012.
D.A. Maloney says that state police have contacted Knight's mother. She says police are attempting to arrange a visit.