LIVE VIDEO: WCSH NEWS CENTER 6 at 5:00    Watch
 

Fire Marshal: Deadly Bath explosion caused by gas leak

1:42 PM, Feb 13, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BATH, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - A leaky propane line sparked a deadly explosion at a home in Bath.

The explosion, which happened Tuesday morning, killed a woman and completely leveled the home.

The State Fire Marshal's Office's investigation says the gas line connected an exterior propane tank to two gas heaters. The heaters warmed both apartments in the duplex.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal's Office were helped by inspectors from Maine's Fuel Board.

They believe that the leak was in an outside wall of the house. The fumes apparently seeped into a crawl space under the building and built up.

It's unknown what set the gas off.

The leak was in the wall of the apartment of Kenneth Hooper, who was not home at the time of the explosion.

A woman's body was found in the rubble of the other apartment. The State Medical Examiner is working to identify her.

NEWS CENTER

Most Watched Videos