ORRINGTON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- It's been more than a week since a fire in Orrington claimed the lives of a father and his three children. Fire investigators say the fire was sparked by cardboard boxes left too close to a wood stove. The Orrington Fire Department is using this tragedy to start a dialogue to get people talking about fire prevention. On Tuesday night, Fire safety officer Shellie Tourtillotte hosted a fire safety training class for everyone in the community. She says its as much about helping the community find some sense in last weeks tragedy as it is about helping the fire department heal too.
"We've been out in the community and we've heard many fears and concerns and anxieties and what we want to do as a fire department is offer education," Tourtillotte said. "We feel that fire education is the best way to alleviate fears and anxieties and make sure our community feels prepared for whatever happens."
The Fire Safety Class was held in the Cafeteria at Center Drive School in Orrington.