ORONO, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- There is some hard news for people looking for local work to help in the Hurricane Sandy recovery effort. Plans for a call center in Orono have been canceled.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency had tapped the company NexxLinx of Maine to set up a call center as part of a support surge in the ongoing Sandy recovery. In a news release sent out Saturday, NexxLinx says that surge has been canceled.
The company had planned to hire 400 people to work the call center, but now those positions are gone.
Nexxlinx says they're stopping recruiting and will be calling people who had already completed the early stages of hiring to tell them about the changes.