Auburn, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- One person has died in an early morning fire in Auburn.
The fire was reported shortly after midnight on Hampshire Street. Police and firefighters say when they arrived, they saw smoke coming out of a second floor apartment. That building and other buildings connected to it were evacuated.
A 51-year-old woman, Nicole Lagasse, was located in her apartment and transported to CMMC where she was later pronounced dead.
The Auburn Fire Department was able to quickly gain control of the fire and prevented it from spreading within the building and to the adjacent buildings.
Auburn Police and the Maine State Fire Marshal's Office are looking into the cause.
Officers also transported an animal to the Lewiston Veterinarian Hospital as a result of smoke inhalation.