OLD ORCHARD BEACH, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Officials say a fire that damaged an apartment building in Old Orchard Beach Saturday morning was caused by careless use of consumer fireworks.
Capt. Brett Jones with the Old Orchard Beach Fire Department says crews responded to an apartment building at 10 Hillcrest Avenue just before 5:30 a.m. Saturday and found smoke and fire showing from the roof of the building. The fire was knocked down quickly, but there was damage to the third floor apartment.
Capt. Jones says no one was home at the time of the fire, but people were using sparklers up on the third floor roof deck earlier in the night. Three firefighters were treated on scene for minor injuries.