PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Emergency crews in Portland had a busy morning cleaning up a chemical spill.
During a delivery this morning at the East End treatment plant, two chemicals were accidentally combined. Those two substances, sodium hypochlorite and sodium bisulfite, create a chemical that is dangerous to humans when combined.
The building was evacuated and emergency crews were called in.
A hazmat team spent much of the day assessing the interior of the building to determine whether any harmful fumes have escaped the holding tank.
Measurements taken outside the building this morning were negative and there is no risk to the surrounding neighborhood.
No one was injured in the spill.