If you live in Greater Portland, chances are you've heard about Let's Go! or the 5-2-1-0 healthy living message. Let's Go! is a community-based program that promotes healthy lifestyles for children and families through school, early childhood, after school, health care, community, and workplace settings. The program reinforces the importance of healthy eating and being active
- It's wherever families are! To remember their healthy behaviors, children and families learn to live by the "5-2-1-0 Every Day!" message. These behaviors are supported by science, recommended by health professionals, and used across the country.
Kids are bringing their understanding of healthy eating and increased physical activity to their families, carrying the hope of the Let's Go! partners that the behaviors will be enacted at home. Let's Go! helps child-centered organizations by providing a toolkit full of strategies to make their environments healthy places, where the healthier choice is the easy choice. Some of the activities include encouraging healthy choices for snacks and celebrations, including community organizations in wellness promotion, discouraging the use of food as a reward, and implementing or strengthening a wellness policy that supports the 5-2-1-0 strategies. The ultimate goal is for organizations to make environmental or policy changes to bring home the 5-2-1-0 message, positively impacting the health and well-being of children and families.
With statewide partners, Let's Go! has engaged:
• 263 schools educating more than 84,154 students
• 38 childcare sites caring for thousands of children
• 65 active health care sites
• 8 after school programs supporting more than 2,500 youth members
• 5 of Portland's largest employers reaching close to 10,000 employees
To learn more about Let's Go!, visit www.letsgo.org, call (207) 662-4982, or follow them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/letsgo5210.