The recipe from Lobster Chef of the Year Chef Kerry Altiero :
Being that my notion of "Going South" in winter means I go the 'Keag store in South Thomaston for a bowl of chowder, I get my vacation any old time by eating the foods of "Where it is warm". This usually involves Chili peppers, lime juice & Cilantro. We call this group "The Usual Suspects".
We will be serving this "Lobster Cocktail" in a Martini or Cosmo glass with sides of Romaine leaves to wrap the lobster cocktail up in.
"Vacation In Your Mouth #2"
- 4 ounces cooked, picked lobster meat
- 1 poblano pepper, cleaned & minced (note: add or sub Jalapeño or Asian chilies to bring up the heat.)
- 2 scallions, sliced on the bias, both green and white parts
- Juice of 2 fresh limes, approx. 1 ounce
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- .5 ounce Nam Pla (Note: This isThai or Vietnamese fish sauce.)
- 6 leaves of Thai preferably or other basil - shredded
- ¼ cup Thai Bean thread or Rice vermicelli noodles soaked & chopped randomly
- 6 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds
- Pinch of Korean Kim Chee flakes
- 2 rounds of lime for garnish
- 10 washed leaves of romaine lettuce or similar crunchy watery green
In a suitable bowl combine and mix all ingredients EXCEPT the romaine, sesame, 1/4 of the cilantro and kim chee flakes. Spoon mixture into cosmo or martini glasses. Make sure to include all the good limey, salty juice. Garnish with a lime round on the edge of the glass, sprinkle kim chee flakes, sesame, and remaining cilantro.
Place the glass on a plate and arrange the romaine leave in an ever so attractive way.
A nice Moscato with a little bit of sweet goes well with the spicy flavors. Or perhaps enjoy with a nice simple beer such as a Sebago Saddleback Ale.
Cafe Miranda is located at 15 Oak Street in Rockland Maine. We are open 7 days a week for lunch & Supper and for Sunday brunch. Also available is fully licensed catering and bartending serviceso. FMI including menus and videos go to www.CafeMiranda.com or find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CafeMiranda