David Turin is thinking Spring with this take on an American recipe for a layered casserole called strata. David's mixing it up by including quail eggs.
More Information: David Turin
EGG STRATA AND SHIRRED QUAIL EGGS
Item Name: Egg Strata
Yield: a 3 QT SHALLOW BAKING DISH - 12 portions
1QtFrench bread cubes
2 oz melted butter
1 T butter for saute
1/4 C leek, thinly sliced
¼ Cshallots, thinly sliced
3 C spinach, stemmed
1 C Gruyere cheese, shredded
½ lbCream cheese, cut in cubes
½ C white wine
2 CHalf & Half
½ tSalt, Kosher
½ tBlack pepper
Method of Preparation:
1. Toast bread in convection oven about 8 minutes until dry, cool and then toss with the melted butter
2. Sauté leeks and shallots in a little butter until tender, add spinach, cook until wilted, remove spinach mix from pan to cool
3. deglaze pan with white wine and reduce by half
4. combine eggs, cream and reduced wine in bowl, whisk until blended
Assemble the strata
1. Spray baking dish with pan spray or rub with soft whole butter.
2. Combine egg mixture, bread cubes, spinach mix, cream cheese, half of the gruyere and the salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
3. Pour mix into the baking dish, sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese
4. Loosely wrap with plastic and then with aluminum foil. Weight the strata down before snugging up the aluminum foil.
5. Place strata in refrigerator over night.
Strata Cooking Instructions
1 Pre heat convection oven to 425 degrees
2. Remove weight from the top of the Strata.
3. Set a timer and bake for 20 minutes with foil on, then uncover and finish baking another 10 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Strata should come away from the sides of the baking dish just a little bit.
4. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on cooling rack before cutting. Run a small knife around the edge of strata while it is still hot.
5. Cut each strata into 12 pieces with a serrated knife.
Strata should not be served hot, but should be either just warm or room temperature
Ingredients for the shirred quail eggs:
1 T butter
12 quail eggs
½ C heavy cream
Salt and fresh cracked pepper
Method of Preparation for shirred quail eggs:
1. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Carefully crack quail eggs into a bowl, put aside any with broken yolks. You want all egg yolks to be intact.
3. Heat an 8 inch oven safe sauté pan. A heavy non-stick pan or a ceramic skillet are good choices.
4. Melt butter in pan and heat until bubbly, be sure to fully coat the pan.
5. Pour half the cream, bring up to boil and then pour eggs into pan carefully so as to keep yolks intact.
6. Pour remaining cream over the eggs, season with salt and pepper and place pan in oven.
7. Bake eggs about 4 minutes or until cooked to your preferred state. Runny yolks go very will when the eggs are placed on top of the strata.
Slide the cooked eggs out of the pan on top of the strata. Chopped fresh chives and a little fresh parmesan cheese makes a really nice garnish.